Saturday, June 25, 2011

HONOR

What is honor? The Bible tells us to honor God, also to honor our mother and father. It also tells me to teach my kids to honor and obey God.

I read somewhere that honor is a combination of three things. 1) Doing more than what is expected, 2) treating people as special, and 3) having a good attitude. The combination of doing those three things, and making them a daily habit, is a good habit to get into.

I've been teaching this to my kids, but, before I could teach them, I had to do some learning myself. It's hard to do more than what's expected if I have a bad attitude. It's also hard to treat people as special when you have a bad attitude. I have found that if I do it anyway (treat people as special and do more than what's expected), regardless of how I feel, that doing those things can and often does change my attitude. This is once again one of those weird paradoxes that I have found to be most helpful. It also helps me drop worry, anxiety and frustration and allows me to have peace and joy in my life.

Sometimes you have to go through the motion and the emotion will follow.

Have you ever tried this?

Pressing on with Excellence,

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment