Saturday, February 19, 2011

WILL LIGHTNING STRIKE?

 “Believe more deeply. Hold your face up to the Light, 
even though for the moment you do not see.” –Bill W.

I became a Christian when I was 10 or so. I gave my life to Christ. I did what most Christian kids do like go to camp and Sunday School. But for some reason I never was taught to turn my will over to God. Some things happened to me when I was a kid that should never happen to any kid and it affected my perception of myself. I grew to believe that I was not good enough to be a Christian and thought that I was going to go to hell. I also thought that I might as well enjoy the ride there.

Flash forward 14 years. Reaching the bottom of my alcohol and drug addiction, I’m faced once again with the question of God. I believed in God. I believed that I had to change my perception of God or I would drink again. It’s hard to turn your life and will over to a God you think is going to strike you with lightning. So I changed my thinking. What if God were all loving and all forgiving? Would that idea of God work for me? I would try it and find out. Sometimes I forget and break out the guilt club. Then I remember that my God is all loving and all forgiving. What is your perception of God? Does it need to be changed?

Keith
Pressing On With Excellence

2 comments:

  1. Keith....I want to encourage you to keep writing! Awesome words of encouragement. So glad I clicked on the link that was on facebook...I most times do not do that! Praying that God will use you and your gift of writing and sharing! You can be an encouragement to others...because you've been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I don't get too many comments. Glad to have your input. Thank you for praying.

    ReplyDelete